Frequently Asked Questions
All the questions that you didn't know you should be asking.
We all have questions about the products we buy, but sometimes we don't know what to ask. We asked our team of Scientists, Engineers, and Dentists; "What questions should customers be asking about their oral rinse? From their responses we created our Infrequently Asked Questions page to help guide you in selecting your oral rinse. We hope that after reading this you realize that you don't have to put up with harsh, burning, drying, awful tasting, and environmentally unfriendly oral rinses.
Then you can go tell your friends to "Get Smart, Get Synedent".
Burning and cleaning
- Why does my other oral rinse cause a burning sensation in my mouth?
- A burning mouth during use of oral rinse is associated with alcohol in the product. Synedent is Alcohol Free and therefore no burning sensation is associated with its use.
- Synedent is scientifically formulated to clean your mouth without the use of harsh chemicals like alcohol or certain essential oils that cause a burning sensation and leave a bad taste in your mouth.
- Is this burning required for cleaning?
- NO, there are many ways to clean your mouth without burning. You don't use soap that burns your skin do you? The mucosal surfaces in your mouth are even more sensitive than your skin.
- Be kind to your mouth and choose a mouthwash without the burn that leaves your mouth feeling moist and refreshed.
- Should I be worried about this burning when I use oral rinse?
- We recommend using Synedent an alcohol free, non-burning oral rinse.
- Alcohol is a drying agent which can lead to dry mouth which can contribute to bad breath and a bad aftertaste.
- Total alcohol consumption and frequency of exposure have been shown to be detrimental to oral health.
- What Should I do to avoid the burn?
- Why does my other oral rinse taste bad?
- There are many reasons an oral rinse can taste bad, but all bad tastes are caused by the oral rinse's ingredients and how they interact with each other in your mouth.
- Alcohol can often create a bad taste, drying of your taste buds and a burning sensation in your mouth that can change how you perceive tastes.
- Natural oils extracted from plant leaves, spices, and peels of fruits can be too concentrated for our tongues creating a harsh flavor. Many oral rinses mix several oils or extracts together to add flavor, create cooling sensations, or to claim that they have many "natural oils" to imply they must therefore be healthy. We find that mixtures of natural oils or extracts can create unintended bad flavors. Synedent contains only peppermint oil to produce a familiar fresh minty taste. This oil is very safe and has been used for decades to flavor oral care products and food. Our peppermint oil was carefully selected for Synedent after testing many different manufacturer's peppermint oils for flavor and quality.
- Does my oral rinse need to taste like medicine?
- No, medicinal tastes may come from natural oils, phenolic compounds, alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide.
- If you like that flavor please continue to use it, but we have found that you can make a good tasting oral rinse and still clean the mouth.
- Can an oral rinse taste sweet?
- YES! An oral rinse can taste sweet and still clean your mouth without increasing bacterial growth through the use of non-fermentable sugar derivatives like xylitol and sorbitol. Synedent was specifically formulated with xylitol and sorbitol to give your oral rinse a sweet flavor without providing bacteria a sugar source upon which to grow.
- Is there anything wrong with an oral rinse tasting sweet? We all like sweet things and we rarely spit out candy or cake...
- GET SMART, GET SYNEDENT.
- What doesn't Synedent contain?
- NO Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, NO Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, : These detergents are used to increase the foaming of soaps, rinses, and shampoos. Synedent contains Polysorbate 20 which acts primarily as an emulsifier but also creates some foaming to help with oral cleaning without a soapy or bitter after taste.
- NO Alcohol: If you made it this far you know our stance on alcohol.
- NO Parabens: This family of preservatives is added to cosmetics to increase their shelf life. You will not find them in Synedent.
- NO Chlorhexidine: This antibacterial drug is added to prescription oral rinses. It has an unpleasant taste and can stain your teeth brown. Synedent believes in white teeth..
- NO Triclosan: This antibacterial compound currently under review in the US and Canada for safety. There are also environmental concerns for the health of our rivers, lakes, and oceans.
- NO Hydrogen Peroxide: This antiseptic can harm oral and gut mucosa with frequent use and may etch teeth.
- No Zinc: Zinc is a metal that is not found in Synedent.
- Not Acidic and Not Basic: Synedent was scientifically formulated with a balanced pH to avoid acidic and basic conditions that damage teeth and oral mucosa.
- Can an oral rinse clean your mouth without these questionable extra ingredients?
- YES! Synedent is formulated to clean your teeth and mouth without the addition of these harsh chemicals, antibiotics, and metals with a balanced pH that is gentle on teeth and oral tissues.
- GET SMART, GET SYNEDENT.